Vehicle Donation



Last year, KALW took in over $125,000 from vehicle donations - the result of more than 150 vehicles being donated.  This is a major source of income for KALW!


Donating your car to KALW could not be easier! Simply call:

1-888-KALW CAR (888-525-9227)

Our agency will walk you through the donation process, which is completed in these three simple steps:

Get ready by locating the title to your vehicle. Have your VIN number handy when you call.

Set an appointment. Call our donation number (above) to set a convenient time to pick up your vehicle.

Give the driver your signed title. He'll give you a temporary receipt and all necessary DMV paperwork. When your vehicle is sold, you will receive an acknowledgment stating the amount for which the vehicle sold and IRS tax Forms 1098 B & C (on vehicles that sell for over $500).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Does my car have to be running?
Not always. It does have to have an engine and be towable. It varies from state to state and depends upon the year, make, and model of the vehicle.   Sometimes if the cost to transport a vehicle will cost more than what it will cost to auction, it may be declined.

Does my car have to pass smog inspection? (For California residents)
No, we can accept it without a smog certificate.

Does my car have to be registered?
No, but you must be the legal title holder.

What if I lost the title?
In California our driver can provide you with a duplicate title form to sign. In all other states, you must obtain the title prior to donating it.

What kind of paperwork will I receive?
You will receive a tow receipt when the vehicle is picked up. Thirty days after the vehicle is sold, you will receive an acknowledgement. If your vehicle sells for OVER $500 you will receive IRS Form 1098 B & C.

How much can I take for my donation?
Effective 2005, if the value of the vehicle is over $500, the taxpayer is limited to deduct the amount for which the vehicle sold for. In such a case you will receive a Form 1098 B & C from the charity within 30 days of sale. If the vehicle sells for under $500 you will not receive IRS forms and are limited to the fair market value of the vehicle. Please consult your tax advisor to determine your benefit or for additional information, (visit the IRS website)

What will happen to my vehicle?
Your vehicle will be picked up by one of our courteous drivers and sold at auction. The proceeds will be sent to KALW.

Is there a tow fee?
No. If you are out of our towing range, we can offer you the option to drop the vehicle off at our auction house.

Are all cars sold at auction?
No. Occasionally, cars that are donated do not sell at auction. In those cases, the vehicles are sold for scrap.

Will I be notified when it sells?
Yes. If  the vehicle sells for over $500 you will receive IRS Form 1098 B & C. If not, you will simply receive an acknowledgement as required by the IRS.

How soon can my vehicle be picked up?
Vehicles are picked up at a time that is convenient for you. Sometimes appointments can be made the same day you call, with some Saturday appointments available. Call our representative to find out what times are available in your neighborhood.

What vehicles do you accept?
We take, boats (if they are on a trailer), motor homes, trucks, motorcycles (if they are operational), farm equipment, and recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, jet skis, etc.)

Why Donate?
There are several great reasons, like:
1. You don't want to worry about selling your vehicle.
2. It is too expensive to repair your vehicle.
3. Your vehicle won't pass smog.
4. You don't trust your car to be safe on the road.
5. You need a tax write-off.

6. You value Local Public Radio, and want to keep it independent and listener-supported!